Friday, January 4, 2008

Chrishankwaramsol

Dear Readers,
Apologies are in order. Please forgive my tardiness with the latest post as I have been distracted by seasonal commitments since mid-December and I suffered a debilitating injury recently*. I fully intend to resume my music reviews after a brief period of convalescence. Thank you for your continued support and kind thoughts.
All the best,
Esion

*Chrishankwaramsol is a seasonal celebration that was conceived several years back when I was looking for a way to incorporate practices from some of the more popular, traditional holidays into one big soiree. It takes place the weekend before the Solstice. Beginning Friday at sunrise, from sun up until sun down we fast (Ramadan) Beginning at sundown on Friday we share libations from a common chalice (Kwanzaa.) In reality our chalice is a 30 gallon trash can filled with fruit juice, all the white liquors and a ten pound block of ice.
We have two dreidals (Hanukkah) each the size of a soccer ball. One has a different color on each of its four side and the other has a right & left, hand & foot on each of its sides. These are used to play Twister. In addition each participant has to wear a Santa hat (Christmas.) If the hat falls off during play you’re out.
For each of the three days of Chrishankwaramsol we drink libations and play Twister from sundown until sun up, or until the punch runs out.
Unfortunately at this year’s celebration I fractured my left radius on the last day. It wasn't pretty.

More to follow…

No comments: