Saturday, October 13, 2007

Oct '07 Playlist (1st-13th)

What am I listening to now? Why would anyone care? To that I reply, “Due to my access to many different artists across many different genres I may be able to offer a few suggestions to those who are bold enough to venture into unknown musical territory” Here are the discs receiving regular rotation on my playlist. Note: Some of the music I’m suggesting is older than 2007

Ray LaMontagne – Til the Sun Turns Black (Aug 2006)
Ray’s a fellow New Englander who moved to Maine after high school and this is his sophomore release. I know it’s over a year old, but I’ve been playing this disc a lot this week. Actually, it’s one that keeps popping up in my player and I prefer it over his first release Trouble (Sept ’04.) Although Ray’s stuff is folk based, he stretches his legs a bit on this one, incorporating horns and an R&B feel to Three More Days, as well as on my favorite track, You Can Bring Me Flowers. The tone is a bit somber, partly due to Ray’s breathy, almost whispered delivery and partly to his lyrics (I’m guessing you wouldn’t describe him as a chipper fellow) but the music is wonderful and definitely worth a listen.

Patty Griffin – Children Running Through (Feb 2007)
Another Mainer (Old Town) who’s achieved international recognition. There aren’t many in folk, rock or alt. country who hold a candle to Patty for her song writing skills or her passionate vocals. I first noticed Patty when I heard Useless Desires from the 2004 release Impossible Dream, but I have to say that Children Running Through, Patty’s 7th release, is my favorite. Berit (my reason for living) and I saw Patty at the Woodland Park Zoo this summer and she was fantastic!!! We sat near Dave Matthews and his family, but I digress… Children Running Through has it all; soulful deliveries, jazzy arrangements, up-tempo rockers, folksy stories and heartfelt ballads that will stop your conversation and have you hanging on every word. Buy this CD now!

Without Gravity – Tenderfoot (Jun 2005)
This Icelandic acoustic quartet won’t rock your world, blow your mind or, damn, I’ve run out of clichés. Any way I love their sound. When co-founder Kalli Henry was asked what it takes to start a band he replied, “Two guitars, a living room and some time” Simple enough? That’s exactly how Without Gravity approaches music; two guitars, light drumming, double base and occasional piano. They assemble spare arrangements, sweet melodies and simple harmonies into some great stuff. If you’re looking for music to put on after work while you kick back with a beverage, this is it.

The Long Winters – Putting the Days to Bed (Jun 2006)
The Long Winters formed in Seattle in 2001 and have roots to Harvey Danger, Deathcab For Cutie, The Posies and Sky Cries Mary, some of the Northwest’s bigger acts of the past two decades. Putting the Days to Bed, their third release, is my favorite. From the bands website John Roderick’s “…truly important life-lessons: keep your powder dry, know a good Audi mechanic, and never feed your dogs first.” And his wry wit is evident in his lyrics. The music reminds me a bit of Toad the Wet Sprocket for its easy rocking tempos, fine harmonies and all-around catchy tunes, my personal favorite, Pushover.

Joni Mitchell – Shine (Sept 2007)
Wow! Joni’s first new studio album since 1998’s Taming the Tiger. And it was worth the wait. The first spin through new disc I was thinking, Joni really has adopted a jazzy, almost new age approach to music, when did that happen? Duh, it’s been present since the beginning. That’s not to say there’s nothing new here, quite the contrary. She has her style, her sound, but it’s fresh as ever. Typically I have to listen to a disc a couple of times through before some tracks “grow” on me. Not the case with Shine. It’s wonderful. It’s been a while since I listened to a disc that was chock full of great songs. Drop whatever you’re doing and get this CD.

I included the Myspace links for the artists who have pages. Just click on their names.
I would like to add that whenever possible buy CDs directly from the artists (at shows, from their websites.) Sure it may cost a buck or two more, but they get the lion’s share of the cash and the major label record company executives who’ve done everything in their power to ruin the music industry will be forced to suffer the humiliation of downsizing to a domestically assembled, economy car.

More to follow…

1 comment:

kli said...

The blog's looking good, "Esion"! I'll keep checking back to see what craziness you come up with.
=)